The CivicGov system provides a process to link multiple inspections together to track the status of a 'failed' inspection through as many inspections as authorized until the failure is rectified. This process is used in the permitting, violation, complaint, and fire/safety modules.
By default, the system only displays the Re-inspect link for inspections with a status of failed. However, there is a setup item that can be activated to allow the reinspect option on inspections that have a status of pass. This is used mostly for large-scale commercial project inspections where you may have to inspect portions of an inspection type such as framing. The contractor, if allowed locally, may request inspections on the first 100 or so feet of framing to allow them to continue on with other steps of construction while framing is still going on in other areas of the building.
Once the staff member clicks on the 're-inspect' link, the system will generate a new inspection record that is directly linked to the failed inspection. The system carries over any comments and also any checklist items and notes from the original inspections. The re-inspection will become the controlling record. This means that you will not be able to make any changes to the controlling record until the re-inspection is completed. You are also prevented from deleting the original inspection record that is attached to a re-inspection.
- Open the controlling record for the applicable module
- Click Edit (Permitting & Project Systems only)
- Navigate to the Inspections tab, select the applicable inspection, and click Re-Inspect
- The system keeps the original inspection number, adds the letter "R" at the beginning of the number, and increments the record by 1 for each re-inspection
- Schedule the inspection as required
- Once the re-inspection has been completed, change the Status of the inspection
- Click Save Inspection
- Print any letters/forms of the inspection as required